Happy Birthday, Jerry Garcia!
Jerry Garcia would be turning 69 years young today. You're incredibly missed!
Some of my personal favorite in-person Jerry moments:
1) 9/18/87 -- My first deadshow -- I saw Pink Floyd and The Grateful Dead within weeks of each other.. talk about two amazing bands (granted this was Pink Floyd without Roger Waters.. but still amazing) -- the difference in the crowd's reaction could not have been more different.. bare in mind I was 16 years old -- The Floyd crowd could not move from their seats, whereas the dead crowd could not sit still. Both concerts were incredible and from the moment forward, i was hooked! -- set 2! Most amazing Dew of the 80's! Good Lovin > La Bamba > Good Lovin! -- So much fun!
2) 3/29/90 -- Everyone has heard the stellar Eyes of the World with Branford Marsalis -- but being at the show with my high school gf, the immediate chemistry between Garcia and Marsalis, and just the energy in that crowd during set 2 -- something I'll never forget.
3) 6/25/91 -- I've seen Jerry having a good time on stage, but I've never seen him boogying down like he did this night -- Having killer seats helped -- normally I've been stuck seeing Jerry look more like an ant at Giants Stadium, but at this show I was in the 10th row, center stage, and I could actually see Jerry's smiles and he was dancing up a storm. Good stuff!
4) 6/28/92 -- A crummy year for the Dead, Jerry had to take time off (remember the entire east coast Sept fall tour was canceled), he was really heavy, looked horrible -- but I will say we lucked out this night at Deer Creek -- Great setlist, as much energy as you'll find at any show in '92, and of course the killer Casey Jones encore.. at least I got to hear the tune once live!
5) 5/16/93 -- The entire weekend in Vegas was a blast! Kimock was playing late night sets at the Alladin -- the weather was just so crazy and fun (storms, crazy winds, rainbows, you name it) -- set 2, particularly pre-space/drums -- killer! Samson, Help-slip-Franklins (best Franklins of the 90's) and a killer Looks Like Rain -- The rest of the set was good, but not quite as good -- the Elvis-filled space was pretty out-there.
6) 6/15/95 -- Highgate, VT -- the show sucked! Dylan blew the dead away! -- But... 100,000 deadheads in Vermont still cannot be un-fun! -- The scene was HUGE -- Never felt more like a herd of cattle than when 100K moved an inch a minute (took about 3 hours -- or at least felt like it) to make it back to their campsites. Sadly I saw only two more shows after this.. both at Giants and both crummy as well... but I am still incredibly thankful for the time I got to spend in the same halls as you, Mr. Jerry Garcia.
Lots of Love,
The Grateful Web