Reggae Pioneers John Brown's Body Announce Album & Tour
As reggae music continues to reach new heights in America, John Brown's Body (JBB) has been there from the beginning, constantly pushing and evolving the U.S. reggae scene through explosive live shows and critically-acclaimed recordings. Their new album, Kings And Queens, out April 16th on Easy Star Records, is no exception. Kings And Queens is the band’s most ambitious release to date, encompassing the entire history of the band’s sound and legacy. Lead vocalist Elliot Martin reaches new levels of songwriting by striking the fine balance between classic JBB roots and a fresh new JBB sound. A perfect example is the track “Old John Brown,” available for FREE download on the band’s Facebook and through an embeddable stream on the band’s Soundcloud.
After releasing their exceptional and (mostly) instrumental JBB In Dub EP late in 2012, the band is already back with their eighth studio album, and first full-length since 2008’s chart-topping (#1 Billboard Reggae) Amplify. Kings And Queens features twelve new songs that are dripping in their signature “Future Roots” sound influenced by British Reggae (Aswad, Steel Pulse), roots classics (Burning Spear, Alpha Blondy), dub experimentation (Scientist, King Tubby, Sly & Robbie), and electronic music. The results are a thicker, heavier style than most modern reggae.
Over the past five years, the Boston/Ithaca/Brooklyn-based octet has toured throughout Europe, New Zealand, and of course the U.S. performing at notable festivals Bear Creek, Gathering of the Vibes, Jam Cruise, and Wakarusa and with acts including Galactic, Groundation, and label mates The Black Seeds and Easy Star All-Stars. This road warrior-like behavior has lent its influence in the studio by capturing the infectious energy of a JBB show throughout Kings And Queens.
Easy Star Records, one of the leading reggae labels in the world, has been working with JBB since 2004. Easy Star co-founder Lem Oppenheimer enthusiastically states, “JBB has been a large part of our roster for a long time, because it’s rare to find a relationship where both label and artist have the same drive to be progressive and push each other forward. JBB and Easy Star are like family.”
In the age of fickle trends and gone tomorrow music, John Brown’s Body provides refreshing integrity and longevity. Don’t miss what All Music Guide calls, “some of the most gorgeous melodies in all of modern reggae music,” when JBB tours this spring to celebrate their new release.
- 4/12 @ Fete Ballroom | Providence, RI [TICKETS]
- 4/13 @ Sugarloaf Ski Resort | Carrabassett, ME [TICKETS]
- 4/19 @ Brooklyn Bowl | Brooklyn, NY – with Easy Star All-Stars [TICKETS]
- 4/20 @ GrassRoots Shakori Hills | Pittsboro, NC [TICKETS]
- 4/26 @ Water Street Music Hall | Rochester, NY – JBB presents BIG UPstate Reggae Festival [TICKETS]
- 4/27 @ Paradise Rock Club | Boston, MA [TICKETS]
- 5/17 @ Jewish Mother | Virginia Beach, VA
- 5/18 @ Electric Factory | Philadelphia, PA -with SOJA [TICKETS]
- 5/23 @ Tralf Music Hall | Buffalo, NY
- 5/24 @ Rex Theater | Pittsburgh, PA
- 5/25 @ Dark Star Jubilee Festival | Thornville, OH [TICKETS]
- 5/26 @ Summer Camp Music Festival | Chillicothe, IL [TICKETS]